COVID-19 Supports Update - Existing and New Emergency and Recovery Benefits
November 12, 2020
Applying Retroactively for the Canada Emergency Benefits
The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB), have now ended. However, eligible individuals have until December 2, 2020 to apply retroactively for all periods of the CERB (retroactive applications for the CESB are not possible):
- Eligible individuals can apply for periods 1-4 of the CERB (March 15, 2020 to July 4, 2020) by contacting the CRA at 1-800-232-1966. Taxpayers may be asked to provide additional documentation to support their claim.
- Eligible individuals can also apply for periods 5 – 7 of the CERB (July 5, 2020 to September 26, 2020) through the CRA’s My Account portal or by using the automated toll-free phone lines: 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041.
If you were receiving the CERB, you may be eligible for one of the new recovery benefits retroactive to September 27, 2020 and available until September 25, 2021:
Emergency / Recovery Benefits – Main Phone Numbers
You can reach the CRA using two general phone numbers:
- If you are having trouble applying for an emergency/recovery benefit because they haven’t filed a 2019 tax return;
- If you want to make changes to their account (updates to address or direct deposit); and
- If you are having trouble accessing the CRA My Account.
This phone number can be used to obtain general information about the new Canada Recovery Benefits (CRB, CRCB and CRSB):
- Eligibility requirements;
- The payment amount for each period; and
- How and when to apply.